It also interesting to note each prophet is given a dominance over the rest in a miracle that close to the social heart of its people. That’s why Solleh (as) was given a unique camel. Jesus (as) was given the cure for diseases and even death. David (as) the grace to defeat the might of Goliath and Moses (as) with his magic stick, for magic was not only dominant but also majestic during his time The prophet was given the Qur’an as a miracle. Since his time words have been used in communications of all kinds. of literatures through books, periodicals, telecommunications and now the computer’s web. Thus the Qur’an is as alive, not any less than when it was progressively revealed some 1400 years ago.
Some of the converts managed to get a hold to the Qur’an via gifts or own initiatives . The passage the first read chapter, The Opening was in fact, implementing the very meaning of the first revealed verse , Iqra’ (read). The first chapter is also known as the mother (Umm-ul) of Qur’an. It is an invocation to the Great One for guidance, in fact beseeching him for a straight path to exclude the paths taken by two kinds of deviants, first that has lost the path, gone astray and angered him and second type who had usurped the path, blinded others the true path and profiting from it while making others to follow their paths and hence challenging God himself, the extreme type.
Now we shall look at the verses . The converts were moved by the immediate reply that came in the early verses in the next surah which we will also see its translation and the terms or conditions that are placed before them if they are truly looking for and wanted guidance.
The Opening (7 verses revealed at Mecca)
1. In the name of Allah, the Beneficent , the Merciful
2. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds:
3. The Beneficent, the Merciful
4. Owner of the Day of Judgement
5. Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.
6. Show us the straight path
7. The path of whom thou hast favored; Not the path of those who earn Thine anger nor those who gone astray.
Al Baqarah ( revealed in Medina first 5 verses of 286)
(the surah following the Opening)
1. Alif Lam Mim
2. This is a scripture whereof there is no doubt, a guidance for those Who ward off (evil)
3. Who believe in the unseen, and establish worship, and spend of that “We bestowed upon them.”
4. And who believe in that which is revealed unto thee ( Muhammad ) and Which is revealed before thee, and are certain of the hereafter.
5. These depend on guidance from their Lord These are the successful.
Two things probably is worthy, regarding Ilmu Qur’an (Koranic Knowledge) to note here, the first concerning the arrangement. Note that Quranic verses are not arranged according to the chronological order they were revealed. It is a norm that student in the science of Quran would study in depths reasons behind, why a particular verse revealed. The Opening was reveal in Medina when early Muslims were persecuted and unable to practice Islam as a way of life. The second surah (Chapter) was revealed in Mecca where Muslims could implement a way of life in the midst of a cosmopolitan society of Mecca.